I decided on Monday and flew out on Wednesday to attend #Fitbloggin – so I didn’t have much time to prepare or fret. I really had no idea what to expect, but I knew I wanted to meet my tweeps in real life. The people were definitely the best part, but the Intuitive Eating panel, Attune Foods panel, and Friday Night Shows were unexpected treats for me. I walked away with loads of new friends, stronger connections with existing buddies, cool tips and products, great information, and lots of questions (i.e., Who Am I?) – ha! Overall, I HIGHLY recommend this conference – it was uber fun, super inspiring, and filled with #soulmedicine. And yes – the irony of ME going to #fitbloggin is pretty darn funny.
- People in real life were exactly what I expected from their digital personality. I do believe that’s one definition of authentic.
- I am in awe of FoodieMcbody & Paolo’s courage in their one-person shows. The glimpse into their unique journeys, marked by honesty and humor, made us all laugh and cry at the same time. Thank you!
- While our stories and paths are all a bit different, I was struck by many common threads. After all, regardless of our story, the road to health involves connecting to the moment and our feelings; self care and acceptance; forgiveness of ourselves and others; accountability and support; and perseverance.
- I was blown away by the generosity of the sponsors! And since I live in the “sticks” and am not a real athlete, I don’t always try new stuff. You’ll be hearing more about these folks, but for now, a giant shout out to New Balance, Attune Foods, Pop Chips, Natural Fitness, iBeani, Arctic Ease, Coaches Oats, Tasteful Selections. Check out their websites and give them some love on Facebook and Twitter!
- I appreciate the conversation about blogger responsibility. Is it appropriate for me to post my workouts even though I’m not a fitness professional? Heck, I don’t even consider myself a blogger, let alone a fit one! After all, I’m just learning how to ride a bike, don’t know how to cook, and ended up in the emergency room with chronic dehydration. But that makes me an expert on ME and my experience is fair game – and by sharing, we help ourselves and potentially connect with others with the same challenges. Even so, I’m going to ponder this one for a while….
For more viewpoints, visit Recap Posts from Fellow Fitbloggers – I haven’t read them all, but right now my personal favorites are from BodhiBear (complete with slide show), FatGirlvsWorld, and LisaJohnsonFitness.
Finally, in the words of Carla Birnberg, “Live in your body. Set yourself up to succeed. Don’t be like me – engage your core.” That was worth the price of admission.
What are your thoughts about our precious online fitness community?